The Road Back 2023-2024
July 13th, 2023
Dear Harbor School Families and Staff,
Welcome back to our 2023-2024 school year! This school year we will continue to implement recommendations from our local health department in the fight against COVID-19. This guidance pertains to K-12 schools, preschools, childcare, and youth camps and is based on what is currently known about the transmission and severity of COVID-19. It is subject to change as updated information becomes available.
RKS Associates recognizes and values the importance of maximizing student learning while balancing the safety and wellbeing of all our students and staff. Through the implementation and enforcement of these protocols, policies and procedures, we seek to create a safe learning environment for all students and staff. Some of the steps taken to provide a safe and healthy environment will depend on the cooperation and adherence of the entire school community. We will enforce these protocols, policies and procedures for the benefit and protection of everyone.
On May 23rd, 2023, the New Jersey Department of Health released updated recommended guidelines for Local Health Departments and K-12 schools. Harbor School will be following this updated guidance accordingly. Operations for the safety and well-being of all Harbor School students and staff will move forward as outlined in this plan. The New Jersey Department of Health recommends that schools continue to implement the following COVID-19 prevention and control strategies:
- Encourage students and staff to stay up to date with vaccination.
- Encourage students and staff to stay home when sick.
- Maintain school policies for reporting positive test results and illness.
- Enforce exclusion for those who are symptomatic or have tested positive for COVID-19 and other illnesses.
- Provide information to parents, students, and staff on prevention strategies including testing and masking following illness and exposure.
- Support mask use by students and staff who choose to mask at any time.
- Implement control measures recommended by local health departments in response to clusters of cases (including increases in respiratory illness) and confirmed outbreaks.
- Continue to report outbreaks and suspected outbreaks immediately to local health departments.
- Follow the New Jersey Department of Health reporting requirements for reportable diseases
RKS Associates has put in place these infectious disease prevention strategies as part of our normal operations, for the health and safety of all stakeholders. These prevention strategies not only protect against COVID-19 spread but can also help prevent the spread of other infectious diseases. For more detailed information about updated state guidance as well as the information listed above, please visit:
Harbor School Principal & Supervisor of Instruction