Finding the Right Autism School in New Jersey for Your Child
If your child has an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), finding the right autism schools in NJ can be challenging. Parents may wonder what type of school to research for and what they should look for during a school visit.
This article serves as an overview for parents and caretakers and covers key features of autism schools in New Jersey.
Finding the Best NJ Autism Schools
Use this guide to help you decide which autism school near you is likely to suit your child, and their unique needs, best.
Gather Information About the School
Start by visiting the school’s website, watching the school’s YouTube videos and looking through their online information. This will give you a general idea about the school’s history, mission, curriculum, staffing and policies.
Talk to Others
Read online testimonials and take time to speak to other parents to gain an even broader perspective from their experience with this school.
Visit the Schools
Visit several schools so you can make a comparison about what they can offer your child. Attend open days or contact the school directly to arrange a tour during normal school hours.
Trust Your Instincts
As a parent, you know your child best. Always trust your instincts. If your observations and conversations with the school staff make you feel confident, then it is likely that this autism school could be a good fit for your child.
- Some general questions to consider include:
- Are the children required to wear a uniform?
- What are the school hours, calendar of events and holiday schedule?
- What is the policy on bullying at the school?
- If your child requires additional learning, social or emotional support, what kind of resources are available?
- Do the schools help children develop relationships with other students?
- Do the schools create opportunities for parents to meet with the staff or with other parents?
- What kind of life skills do the schools offer for children with autism (cooking, self-care, laundry, etc)?
- How do the schools create sensory environments for children with autism?
- Is there a quiet area at the school for children to spend time in, when needed?
- How will the schools prepare my child to transition into career possibilities and activities of daily living?
About RKS Associates' Autism Schools in NJ ?
Since 1980, RKS Associates has been a leader in providing the needs of special education students and helping children grow to their fullest potential. Each of our schools for Autism Spectrum kids seeks to empower each student with skills for life, work and recreation; we believe that every individual possesses the dignity and potential to contribute to a better world.
As a parent, looking for the best school to help your child with autism often leaves you with a lot of questions. Our staff is here to guide you through. The Harbor School is truly a safe haven which embraces all those who enter in a spirit of mutual respect, collaboration and advocacy toward hope and possibility for a lifetime.
Located in Eatontown, New Jersey, Harbor School is one of the best schools for multiply disable and autistic students in NJ. Contact us at our main office at 732.544.9394 with any questions or schedule a private tour of Harbor School today.